Five Facts About Calendars
Ah the humble calendar! Almost all of us have at least one in our homes. Sometimes we take it for granted in favour of keeping track of days on our fancy smartphones or tablets.
It has always been part of our lives however, helping us remember important dates such as anniversaries, birthdays and holidays.
What do we actually know about the calendar and it’s origins though? Here are five interesting things that you never knew about the everyday calendar.
1) Calendars have been around for thousands of years and were used by Ancient Chinese dynasties, The Greeks, and The Roman empire.
The oldest recognised lunar calendar in the world can be found in Aberdeen, Scotland in the form of an arrangement of 12 Mesolithic pits and an arc. Experts say this arrangement dates back over 10,000 years.
2) Julius Caesar decided to make drastic changes to the existing Roman Calendar in 46 BC. The result of this was the Julian Calendar.
The Julian was refined over centuries and predominately used by the Roman empire, Europe and the North American Settlements right up until 1582.
3) This was the year when Pope Gregory XIII decided to make some changes of his own by introducing the Gregorian calendar. The original aim of the Gregorian was to change the date of Easter and to reduce the number of leap years per century.
This move was met by contempt by protestants around Europe who viewed this as a Catholic plot. It wasn’t until the 1750’s that protestant nations England and Germany finally switched over.
4) Since it’s introduction the Gregorian calendar has remained the most commonly used calendar in the world. It did however take some countries a lot longer to adapt from the original Julian Calendar; Russia in 1918 and Greece in 1923.
5) Although the Gregorian is the most common there are 6 other main types of calendars used around the world. There are also the; Chinese, Hebrew, Islamic, Persian, Ethiopian and the Balinese Pawukon Calendar .
Here at Tara Promotional Products we have calendars of all sizes and themes. A personalised calendar from our exclusive range would make the perfect gift for any client. You can check out our range here.